Kevin O, the Irish Examiner’s chief correspondent, said on Monday that the paper’s “worst-kept secret” of the week is its own editorial.
The paper was forced to apologise after it emerged it published a series of articles about the death of the son of one of its writers last year, as well as the case of a former journalist who was found guilty of murder in the killing of a woman.
Mr O’Reilly, a former reporter with the Irish Independent, said the articles “should have been put out earlier”.
“I think the best thing for the Irish public is that it should have been out sooner, because they’re all very well written and all very important,” he told RTÉ’s Morning Ireland.
“It should have gone out after the death last week of my friend Kevin O. But I don’t think it would have had the same effect if the death had been published before the death.”
Mr O said the article published on Sunday night about the case involving his friend’s son and his conviction for murder should have left the door open for others to get involved in the story.
“If you’re going to put a story out, then you have to let people know about it,” he said.
“I don’t know if that article has been put on the internet and I can’t remember it, but the article that was published on Saturday night is a very important article.”
He added: “I think it was put out in the wrong way.
It should have done more to help people out.”
Mr Cooney, the deputy editor of the Irish News, said in a statement that the editor-in-chief of the newspaper has apologised for the “misguided decision” to publish the article, which he said “has caused distress to Kevin O”.
“The Irish News editorial team has apologised to Kevin and his family for the misguided decision made to publish a story on Sunday that is so distressing,” he added.
The Irish Examiner has said that it has a zero tolerance policy for any breach of editorial standards.